Friday, May 15, 2009

Ben Slater's Pot Blog Crit.

So I would have to say that Ben Slater's blog is one of the most thought out blogs I have seen. The amount of information given and the amount of references add to the substance of the information.

I am not sure how many times I have heard this argument and seen this data, though. I have nothing against cannabis and it's medical uses but lets be honest. The medical records would be flooded with an epidemic fluctuation of people with Alzheimer's, diabetes, Tourettes and incontinence when most of the people requesting it do not even know how to say the word, much less what it is.

Now let me back up and say not all cannabis users are... well, slow, but I am sure we all know that guy that goes... "DUUUDDE". There is a persona that comes with being a cannabis user and it is slow and with a comical laugh. People see Bill and Ted when they think about it and to change that thought process is what will change the legal classification. Till then people will watch G4TV and see Half Baked and HighMe and vote to stop it at all cost because no one wants a world of slow potheads.

Another argument is the amount of taxes it could bring in, like cigarettes do. Will this really happen? With the US working so hard at shutting down cigarette manufacturers do you think this maybe possible? Will we really see the amount of our state tax go up and would that be what is right? Granted, rich people will pay for it and the poor will too, but if it is really medical why would we get taxes from it at all? The argument is not sound, in my opinion. Medical means only a few people will actually buy it and it would be those with a sickness that justifies its use. I would love to see on TV an elderly man on the ground saying "DUUUUDE I've fallen and can not get.. uh wait who am I and where am I?" Then a guy in a cheap pin striped suit with a movie voice telling me I should reup if I am elderly and getting forgetful. It makes me wonder what the side effects would be and how they would be listed. Would they say it may cause death, diarrhea, numbness, and dizziness? I think they would list them and say, "Then dude you got some good $#%@ call us and give us your supplier" or "you got some bad $#@% throw it out".

Lets be honest the only way taxes will go up is if people who are voting for it are able to get it and stop growing it. We all know that, that cannabis comes from Bill who grows it in his closet and is not terrorists but is not the CEO of a corporation ready to pay taxes due to his 15 baggy a day sales trend. Maybe Bill should get a Pharmaceutical degree and then he could sell it upping the amount of income in his pocket allowing him to spend it on things he wants to help relieve the recession and contribute to some of that sales tax that is alluded to.

I realize just how rude this sounds and I am sorry because it is not meant to be an attack on you but an attack on the people you support. The issue to me is not the drug but the people who use it. You act like a fool and you will be seen as "less than" in society. This may be an American outlook on the issue but it is an issue that cannabis users will have to change. Just do not hide behind medical usages as a reason to get high, and we all know taxes are not going to happen - the only thing that will change is people will smoke it in the open and not hide it in a blunt. Ricky Williams is a prime example of how to handle your desire to legalize pot, just say "I do not want your millions I wanna get high".

Plus we all know the real reason you smoke cannabis is for cataracts - the smoke in the air makes the good eye focus as poorly as the bad eye and that solves the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment